From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of W Hilmo
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 1:12 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Interesting Behavior with APCC Pro and Pegasus Astro UPBv2

I wanted to revisit this topic with an update.

I reached out to Pegasus Astro, and they are aware of the issue with unit in the temperature value. At this
time, they can’t fix it because SGP apparently has a dependency on the current behavior. They are reaching
out to the SGP folks to see if they can coordinate a proper fix.

Regarding my unguided imaging results, I switched the units back to metric in the Pegasus Astro software, and
that fixed the incorrect temperature in APCC Pro. I ran unguided again last night, and it was a slight
improvement over the previous unguided session, but still wasn’t satisfactory. I forgot to note yesterday that I
have my camera oriented so that declination in up/down in the frame. The elongation is diagonal, and flips 90
degrees after the meridian flip. That means that the components of drift are not isolated to either axis in
particular.

So I went back to take a closer look at the model in APCC. I played with setting and clearing different terms to
see the effect on the model. When I was doing this, I noticed that the “Correct for Refraction” checkbox was
cleared. When I checked that box, the east and west scatter plots dropped from 53.35 and 50.20 arc seconds,
respectively, to 9.42 and 6.32 arc seconds.

In my head, I assume that drift due to refraction will be aligned perpendicular to the horizon, instead of being
aligned with one of the axes. If that’s true, then my elongation might be up/down, relative to the horizon. I’m
going to give it another run tonight and see if I get better results with refraction correction enabled.

Thanks,

-Wade