Re: Newbie needs APPM software advice #APCC

Don Anderson

I use Pinpoint with MaximDL6.11 and The Sky6. I have had this software suite for many years and I know it is old  but it is solid stable and just works.

Don Anderson

On Thursday, April 15, 2021, 01:20:46 p.m. MDT, Jil Tardiff <jtardiff@...> wrote:

Hi all,

New and very excited owner of a 1100GTO (no encoders) and getting ready to start.

Unfortunately (?) with this big step up in mount I decided it was time to migrate from ASIAIR and so I'm in the process of changing my entire setup including moving to a NUC with Win 10 and, importantly still struggling with what imaging suite to land on (NINA vs Voyager at present, leaning towards Voyager, but not set in stone).  So lots of things in flux, but I'm trying to not change too many variables at once.

Basic question is this: I really want to use APPM though I'm a bit concerned re: the learning curve.  Regardless, my issue is that I do not own the requisite plate solver.  So that's another purchase and I am just hung up on which way to go.  I would appreciate some input from users.

The options from my perspective are:

1. Pinpoint
2. SkyX

I know I could go with SGP, but I am definitely not going to use it for my imaging / sequencing software. So it seems rather cumbersome to use it alongside either NINA or Voyager.  If this is not a big deal or an unnecessarily cumbersome approach , please let me know and I will re-consider.

Obviously I would prefer to keep the costs down but that is not the primary driver here.

And please, I know this discussion can devolve into the lack of support for other options like ASTAP.  I'd appreciate not having that issue raised at this point, I'd really just like to get started.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Jil