Re: APPM model how many points portable?

Dale Ghent

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I've always had the camera add-on for TSX, so when I started using Image Link for the first time for APPM, I wasn't sure if it was something that was a part of the base app or the add-on. I just was happy it worked.

I've never used PinPoint as a solver. As a NINA user and in light of ASTAP et al being supported, would supporting PinPoint be desirable at all? I haven't looked into what an integration would look like on the technical side; if it's just a TCP network API or something else.

On Apr 12, 2021, at 17:17, W Hilmo <y.groups@hilmo.net> wrote:

" and I think you might need the camera add-on for TSX to use Image Link? I'm not 100% sure on that."

You do not need the camera add-on to use TSX as the plate solver in APPM. I have MaxIm, TSX, (full) PinPoint, SGP, NINA, PlateSolve2 and ASTAP and have used them all in various combinations. If I remember right, the capture software and solving software seems to be pretty decoupled from each other in APPM. If you supported capture software, you can independently pick supported plate solve software. For what it's worth, I have found TSX to have a really fast and robust plate solve routine. It seems to do better than the others with difficult to solve fields (either in a star-poor area, or because of passing thin clouds).

Since I've switched to NINA for my image capture, I've used MaxIm as my capture software for APPM. I am looking forward to having both ASCOM camera support and ASTAP support in APPM. If you have a camera with ASCOM drivers (I do), that's going to be a nice configuration that can run independent of your normal capture software.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dale Ghent
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 11:27 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APPM model how many points portable?

No, there's no PinPoint support in NINA at the moment. I might get the eval copy of PinPoint and put in support for it at some point, but my time is so limited now that such a project would need to get in line with all the other things on the to-do list for me.

As for APCC being able to use ASTAP, I can't comment on when that will be available. Only Ray, Karen, or Marj would have any authority on release date or other such expectations.

As for your workflow, all you'll need is APCC Pro+APPM, your camera's ASCOM driver, and a plate solver that's supported directly by APPM, such as PinPoint or TSX (and I think you might need the camera add-on for TSX to use Image Link? I'm not 100% sure on that. All I know is that it works for me(tm) and I do have the camera add-on)

One APCC supports ASTAP, you can have it use the same installation of ASTAP that NINA uses.

As for polar alignment, the RAPAS is a fine tool for that, however if you have a lot of cables going through the mount, you might run into complications with those cables interfering with the view of the RAPAS. This is my case with my Mach1, so I use SharpCap Pro's PA tool and my guide camera or main camera to do polar alignment.

On Apr 12, 2021, at 13:28, ap@captivephotons.com <ap@CaptivePhotons.com> wrote:

Hi Dale,

I plan to sell my Paramount when the AP 1100 comes in so TSX will go with it.

Pinpoint is not usable with NINA, right? So I should plan on getting Pinpoint for APPM and keep ASTAP for NINA?

Or do you think there may be different answer by June?

Just trying to get installed and familiar with as much stuff as I can ahead of time.

Is Pinpoint the only non-AP software I'll need to make the AP1100 work? Assuming the polar scope is adequate in itself.