From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffc via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2021 7:55 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APPM model how many points portable?

> I use SGP and ASTAP. A 90 point model takes about a half hour

>> I didn’t think astap was supported in the AP software; or is this coming ASTAP -> SGP -> AP?

I have also been thinking about using SGP and ASTAP.

Fwiw: I have been assuming APPM (?) uses SGP to capture and plate solve, and SGP in turn uses ASTAP to do the plate solve.

... but I'm far from knowledgeable on this, tho I would like to confirm this works or not without burning too many cycles ... But I'll probably just try it sometime soon.

Also fwiw I'm still on the SGP learning curve, along with a new camera.  Was using maxim-dl, but I don't have full pinpoint.   (And I've been avoiding TSX from a bad experience with it in the past, which is likely resolved.)  I am almost 100% open at this point for image acquisition apps as long as they don't break the bank or my brain.   e.g. Voyager has been noted in other forums, however it seems to me SGP is more intuitive, and maybe is more supported... and afaik APPM does not work with Voyager.

Point is:  there seems to be many variations/options for software these days, which might have varying performance and capability levels.   It would be good to know what works well (at this point in time).

I also am realizing "what works well" may depend on the imaging hardware one is using - whether ascom-only or natively supported.

E.g. I'm currently moving to an Ascom-only camera (at least I believe there isn't native QHY driver integration with with Maxim or SGP).

The upside is the new camera seems to have blazing download speed compared to the ST-8300M I was previously using.

thx .. this is a timely thread for me, btw.

-jeff