Re: APPM model how many points portable?

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

My 1100 is due this summer so very curious also, as I will set up each night and tear down, often with a C11, sometimes a 4” refractor.

Right now with a MyT I do one large model, then a recalibration each night which takes 10 minutes.  I understand that’s not exactly possible with the AP mount.

One thing from the MyT experience and an SCT – unless you have the mirror locked, the point of diminishing returns gets reached fairly quickly in terms of number of model points and increasing accuracy, as with mirror movement there is an inherent lack of repeatability of getting back to any area of the sky.  Getting a model that gets fractional arc second precision with a scope that’s not repeatable except maybe to 5” or more is not very useful.   One day I may get a different focuser and lock my mirror but in the meantime I accept that lack of precision.

But spending 90 minutes a night building a model will be a real bummer.   Is it a plate solve issue?   TSX only takes a second per image to solve.  I really do not like TSX in general, and glad to be getting away, but… 90 minutes?

Say it ain’t so!

Linwood