From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dale Ghent
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 5:50 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Cable talk (with Linda Richman)

On Apr 10, 2021, at 12:47, Bryan R. <bross138@gmail.com> wrote:

I am a fan of Switchcraft DC jacks. They seem to be of much better
quality than run-of-the-mill amazon stuff, bit easier to solder, and made in
USA. Would like to hear that others have used for ethernet RJ45 connectors
if fabricating their own patch cables as I do.

I personally prefer not to solder things anymore. While I'm pretty
comfortable with my soldering skills, I prefer to skip that with cables
because it makes fixes in the field more of an ordeal and I never have that
3rd hand when I need it. So, for power, I do crimped powerpole with an array
of adapters that I make myself.

For the typical 5.5/2.1mm or 5.5/2.5mm coaxial power plugs, I buy bags of
premade connectors that have pigtails, and they're readily available with 18
awg wiring. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079CKL6P9/

I take these, trim them down a little and crimp 15A powerpole ends on to
them. Since I run a Pegasus UPBv2 with 5.5/2.1mm power sockets instead of a
powerpole hub, I just have these at both ends and run a powerpole extension
cable between them of appropriate length. I also make these out of a roll of
18 awg silcone jacketed zip wire. Pretty flexible and more than sufficient
in the winter in my mid-Atlantic US temperate clime.

All my powerpile/cabling stuff fits in a small fishing tackle box and I
don't need a soldering iron (and power for it) to make anything I need when
it comes to 12V DC. Crimper, stripper, knife, side cutters, and all my
supplies fit nicely on a box that's easy to pack and doesn't take up much
space:

https://i.imgur.com/Gt68XsO.jpg

For USB, I exclusively use L-com (l-com.com) cables now. They have a line of
high-flex USB2/3 cables in various lengths that are really super nice to
use, especially for through-mount cabling:

https://www.l-com.com/usb-high-flex-usb-cable-assemblies

They also have high-flex versions cat 5e/6/6a ethernet and HDMI.

For ethernet and RS232 over 8p8c/twisted pair, I just crimp my own using
wire and connectors sourced from wherever is handy at the moment; usually
Monoprice. I use some leftover solid-core cat6 I have on a spool from wiring
my house if the wiring isn't going to move much, otherwise I have some
stranded-core cat5e. The only use of such cable I have is on my main rig
where I made a cable to connect the focuser controller on my UPBv2 to the
HSM35 that drives my 130GTX's focuser. This will go away soon, though, as
it's all getting replaced with a Nitecrawler and that's just another
12V+USB2 wiring job.

/dale