Re: Power cable conductor gage (AWG) of

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

And some wire on Amazon and similar places is aluminum and as a rough estimate assume you need a full size increase (for AWG 18 copper use AWG 16 Aluminum, where “size” is 2 numbers, for reasons lost in NEC past).

Copper Clad aluminum (CCA) is even more widely sold, it looks like copper, it is very slightly better than pure aluminum, but is still aluminum.  It’s often really hard on Amazon to tell if something is CCA or copper (on purpose as CCA is much cheaper).

Copper is still the gold standard.   CCA and Aluminum exist to be cheap, really.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Stone, Jack G via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 12:13 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power cable conductor gage (AWG) of

Remember current flows through the wire – so wire that has a lot of small strands will have a lower IR drop.

So not all 14AWG has the same current handling capability – they can differ by quite a bit.

Vendors usually have online calculators for their products.

Also important is the insulation rating

Regards,

Jack ~

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of vk3cjk
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 6:34 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power cable conductor gage (AWG) of

Knowing the wire gauge will enable the minimum voltage drop at a certain current to be calculated but it will not take the extra resistance of any poor connections into account.  It's always best to do an end to end test under load. 

Cheers, Chris

On Fri, 9 Apr. 2021, 22:59 Seb@stro, <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:

Hello Dale,

Not exactly. Voltage drop is also function of current flowing through the conductor (which I can get from the PPBA) and wire characteristics (mainly gauge ie. cross-section area and length at DC).

To be valid, the experimental method you describe would require to be done under load and would require me to make some kind of adapters to hookup the Multimeter at both ends while every component is consuming its average current.

I could do that but I’m lazy and I figured it was quicker to ask for the wire gauge and do the Math to calculate theoretical voltage drop.

CS!

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.