Who Needs Guiding.....

Barry Megdal

I know others have had good luck with unguided imaging, but we just got the first clear and stable night in Southern California in what seems like months, so I was able to try out my latest APPM model, using Ray's experimental "declination arc" feature and hundreds of mapped points.

Seeing was a bit under 2 arcseconds, which unfortunately is good for my location.  AP1600 mount with encoders, and a very long and bendy AP206 scope.  Most 10 minute subs never had a single guiding correction.  Ray deserves a lot of credit for APPM being able to model a difficult scope so well across the sky.

Typical Maxim guiding graph looked like this (and I think most of the variation was still due to less than excellent seeing):

- Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

Shb Instruments, Inc.
19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A