Re: APPM Attempt Failed - Clearly I am doing something wrong #APCC #Mach2GTO

Ray Gralak

Hi Marty,

The errors are coming from the plate-solver application. Here are some suggestions:

1. Instead of using GSC11, use USNO A2.0 or UCAC4. Note that you will likely have to download those catalogs.

2. On APPM's Plate Solve Settings tab:

            a) Increase "Max Solve Time (sec)" to 60 seconds. The "Operation stopped by client checkpoint operation" means that the plate solve didn't solve before the time in this field. If your computer is slow, or you have large images this can happen. You can reduce image size by binning or doing a subframe on APPM's Camera Settings tab. Also, uncheck the Auto Dark Subtract option on that tab if you have it enabled.

            b) Enable "Refine image scale from next solved image".

            c) Enable "Use last plate solve's offset as hint for next plate solve".

            d) Enable "Try All-Sky Plate Solving if available". And set the timeout to 300 seconds.

            e) Make sure the X and Y plate solve scale (unbinned) is set approximately to your image scale.

3. On APPM's "Run" tab, enable "Recall near Zenith at start". You should always leave this enabled so that the all models you create will have the same starting reference point.

4. Before you start a run for the very first time try a "Plate Solve and Recal" on APPM's run tab. If this succeeds then everything should run smoothly.

Here is a screenshot of the Plate Solve Settings I mentioned above:

-Ray