Re: Pier for 1100GTO #Guiding

Keith Olsen

Edited

If you really want a heavy duty pier get a schedule 80 pipe and have a plate welded on top and bottom.   Mine is 5" nominal(5 1/2" OD) 3/8" thickness and about 21 lbs per foot for my OBS with my Mach1. I bolted the Losmandy field tripod adapter to the top plate with the astro-physics LT2APM adapter attached to that. I will be getting an 1100GTO and will install it on the same pier.

5 1/2" OD seems small but this thing is solid and heavy. My wife owns a steel business and made mine, she looked today and it is going for $24 a foot  here in Illinois but the price has been varying a lot lately.