Re: Quick Release Gearbox Modification for Older AP1600

Jack Huerkamp

George,

So you assemble everything on the side to side plate – both scopes and accessories – and then place the dowel rod under the assembly and check the balance point for position the side to side plate in the DOVELM162 bolted to the top of the Dec axis.  Mark the side to side plate to indicate the balance point.

You can then rotate the dowel rod 90 degrees under the center of the side to side plate to make sure the entire assembly is balanced in the north-south direction.  If so, leaving all the makes in place, disassemble the scopes from the side by side plate and reassemble onto the DOVELM162.

If this is correct, I will get help in removing all the scopes, take off the counterweights and counterweight shaft and then do a gear cleaning and lubrication before re-assembling everything.

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC