From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of skester@... <skester@...>
Sent: 13 March 2021 17:02
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Counter weight up slew vs. continuing past the meridian, any real differences?

I've seen many comments about the ability of AP mounts to slew to a counterweight up position with the scope on the east side, so that you can avoid the flip and continue west.  Assuming I want to track the target from -3hrs to +3hrs of the meridian, how if at all is this different to starting with a normal slew with the scope on the west side, and ending in the counter weight up position (assuming clearance of course)?  Earlier this week it was mentioned that due to how SGP commands the mount during a plate solve/center, starting counter weight up invokes the safety slew thus making very small adjustments quit slow.  It would seem a solution would be to just reverse the process and end rather than start counter weight up.  Am I missing something here?