Re: Slide Rules and Slipsticks - in the 1960's B.C. - i.e. (Before Computers)

Joe Zeglinski

Since I couldn’t find an original “wall-mount”  slipstick,  I just remembered  an old Plan-B, of making my own. We now have the latest PC technology to do it very easily as a home DIY. The 6-foot, or preferably easier to handle  a 4-footer,  can be “duplicated”. I once made an “Octal” Circular slide rule, simply using my engineering drafting tools, after I graduated and started in the computer field. Computer technology now makes it far easier to do.

Just scan an existing slide rule, at high resolution, section by section, and print the (coloured) sheets on say a laser printer, or have it done at a  print shop on a blueprint-sized printer. Then just glue the printed sheets unto a backing of plywood, or much lighter balsa wood, even thin sheets  (with  re-enforcement spacer ribs) of Plexiglas. Then you can have any brand or model of your old favourite slide rule, complete with accurate markings.
The difficulty is flipping it over to the log & trig functions, but even that could be done by flipping it over downwards  on  hinges.

Another project, besides astronomy, that would be out of this world.

Just a thought ... but thanking the group for their patience,  I should probably end this AP-GTO  off-topic, though very interesting thread. 
Joe

Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 11:51 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Slide Rules and Slipsticks - in the 1960's B.C. - i.e. (Before Computers)

Barry's is bigger than oursEmoji

Don Anderson

On Friday, March 12, 2021, 07:30:02 p.m. MST, Joe Zeglinski <j.zeglinski@...> wrote:

Congrats Barry,

...  on finding that huge Pickett. Years ago, I was looking for one as well, and finally gave up. Settled for finding the Electrical Engineering Pickett model instead.
Now, seeing yours,   I may resume that search.

Joe

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.