Re: Slide Rules and Slipsticks - in the 1960's B.C. - i.e. (Before Computers)

Jeff B

What a great garage sale find.  Would be a natural for American Pickers!

I remember the huge one in college physics class.  We had an "advanced course" in it and also circular slide rules that you could stuff inside your pocket protectors with the pens.  Computer card stacks...learned real quick to always number the cards....in case you dropped the deck.....which you would eventually do.....that also carried over to numbering your viewgraph slides too.

The big intense debate in my engineering college was centered around the use of the emerging hand calculators during testing.  Their relative cost was similar to a high end cell phone today but some students had them.  Took my school, Cincinnati, a good year to allow it as they saw the handwriting on the wall......where the big slide rule used to be.

Jeff

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 11:51 PM Don Anderson via groups.io <jockey_ca=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Barry's is bigger than oursEmoji

Don Anderson

On Friday, March 12, 2021, 07:30:02 p.m. MST, Joe Zeglinski <j.zeglinski@...> wrote:

Congrats Barry,

...  on finding that huge Pickett. Years ago, I was looking for one as well, and finally gave up. Settled for finding the Electrical Engineering Pickett model instead.
Now, seeing yours,   I may resume that search.

Joe