Re: How to Re-grease a Mach1 with Auto-Adjust Motor Boxes?

Bill Long

Not sure what the procedure is on a Mach 1, but the only mistake I made was having the motor box cover slip out from my grip and the black lead on the motor popped off. Totally avoidable problem. The rest was gravy and pretty easy.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Fernando Proietti <fernandoaproietti@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 11:33 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] How to Re-grease a Mach1 with Auto-Adjust Motor Boxes?

+1 for a video. I have a Mach1. I am outside the US and I am not mechanically wise or inspired to risk damaging the mouny. If repair is needed, it will be quite expensive to send the mount to AP and back. That is my reason asking for a video.

Regards, Fernando

Em seg., 8 de mar. de 2021 às 12:33, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> escreveu:
Definitely a video!

cytan

On Monday, March 8, 2021, 09:30:21 AM CST, Andrew Jones <andjones132@...> wrote:

Hi Bill.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I know you to be a very knowledgeable amateur astronomer based on your many useful and helpful post on the forum. If someone with your level expertise struggled with this re-greasing process the first time, to point of actually damaging the mount, does not give me warm and fuzzys about attempting the process myself. Given the recommendation that all owners of AP mounts should be performing this maintenance ever 2 - 5 years would indicate a strong demand for clear and concise instructions for each mount. I am sure we could all call George and have him walk us through the process step by step, but it would seem easier (for AP) if we could just get a step-by-step guide or even better a YouTube Video showing each step in detail. I am going to hold off with re-greasing my Mach1 from 2016 for now until hopefully some better instructions come along.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Andrew J