Re: How to Re-grease a Mach1 with Auto-Adjust Motor Boxes?

Phillip Klein

Hello,
Thought I would share my regrease experience since I recently completed the task on a Mach 1 that I purchased in 2016. Not being naturally mechanically gifted I reviewed  the AP provided directions that describe the process for several mounts. Also, searched the internet for a video and found a useful hint (the longer T shaped Allen wrenches to more easily reach the bolts and provide enough torque to break loose the bolts). I separated the mount and had the grease, Q-Tips, small cloth, gauze, several toothbrushes and was ready to go. None of the photos matched my mount which confused me so I sent George pictures of my mount’s motor boxes and asked for guidance. George’s reply was brief. “Directions for my mount were on page 10” which by the way had no photos.
The regressing was uneventful but sorely needed. The mount slews perceptibly smoother and quieter.
Certainly, I added the note “My mount directions” to page 10.to avoid confusion in the future as I plan to regrease annually.
I agree the directions can be confusing but I recommend seeking AP technical staff’s input if you are unsure about something. They are always there for you.
Clear skies!
Phillip

On Mar 8, 2021, at 7:30 AM, Andrew Jones <andjones132@...> wrote:

Hi Bill.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I know you to be a very knowledgeable amateur astronomer based on your many useful and helpful post on the forum. If someone with your level expertise struggled with this re-greasing process the first time, to point of actually damaging the mount, does not give me warm and fuzzys about attempting the process myself. Given the recommendation that all owners of AP mounts should be performing this maintenance ever 2 - 5 years would indicate a strong demand for clear and concise instructions for each mount. I am sure we could all call George and have him walk us through the process step by step, but it would seem easier (for AP) if we could just get a step-by-step guide or even better a YouTube Video showing each step in detail. I am going to hold off with re-greasing my Mach1 from 2016 for now until hopefully some better instructions come along.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Andrew J