Re: Recent encoder discussion on CN

Bill Long

Thank you for the response, Roland. 

On the smaller mount, I have posted and talked about this topic pretty frequently on CN. The Mach 1 being gone leaves a void in the lineup and in the marketplace for entry level premium high-precision mounts. If you want that right now, you have the MyT and nothing else really. Its that $6k range though -- could the hypothetical 400AE hit that target? If so, I think you have solved the problem and provided an excellent product that reflects A-P quality.  

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2021 7:16 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Recent encoder discussion on CN

The 1100/1600 were always designed to accept encoders. These mounts were designed to replace the 900/1200 mounts which could not be retrofitted with encoders. The whole idea of the 1100/1600 was to be able to offer encoders for higher performance and remote operation.

These mounts have a 1 piece worm-shaft. In other words, the worm wheel and shaft are machined from one billet of aluminum. It was done so for maximum strength. Since they are one piece, and the encoders are attached to the back of the shaft, they can only turn when the worm wheel turns. The shaft cannot turn by itself because it's part of the worm wheel. Worm wheels cannot turn if they are in mesh with the driving worm. We decided to have a clutched "Lazy Susan" rotating mechanism on top of the axis so that people could use the mount manually. We could have left this out, and made a non-clutched mount. However, I wanted to make a more universal mount and not copy the Paramount. Was it a mistake? I really don't know, but amateurs have several brands of high performance mounts to choose from, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. So, the choice is there.

If we ever decide to design a smaller portable mount, what would be most desirable? What's missing in the panoply of mounts today? Before you answer, I have in my right hand a 400 mount that weighs 12lb without the base. It has a precision gear set and can be fitted with absolute encoders that would allow it to track at sub-arc sec levels. I daresay that this mount can easily swing a C11 or a 140 refractor. Is there a reason for such an animal?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu, Feb 25, 2021 8:50 pm

Yeah the 1100 is really well designed. If a bonehead like me can use it for 5 years and not have it be smoldering pile of aluminum -- anyone can use it. 😂

Speaking of design, there is a sentiment on CN that the 1100 and 1600 had their encoder systems "retro-fitted" to them, meaning the mounts were not designed with encoders and the design was later changed to include them. I do not think that is true, rather I think they were designed with encoders in the mind, but were made in a fashion that users could buy the mount with or without them -- then add them on later if they wanted to.

I believe the latter is the truth. Can you confirm?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2021 6:39 PM

There are no Delrin plugs. You can tighten to your heart's content. Use hex keys to really lock them up if you wish, but make sure that your scope doesn't run into something since the clutches won't slip.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Feb 25, 2021 8:04 pm

On an AP1100 can I tighten the clutch with hex keys or just hand tighten? Will overtightening damage Delrin plugs?

Shailesh

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.