Re: Encoder performance during recent sub-zero nights

Roland Christen

I have had the 1600 mount in my observatory for a decade. It has standard encoders that have seen at least 10 Midwest winters, so the -4F storage spec from Renishaw is probably very conservative.

From: Jeffrey Wolff <jmw2800@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Feb 21, 2021 12:37 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Encoder performance during recent sub-zero nights

I have the 1100 with extended range on order. Looks like i probably would be fine with the standard range but didn't want to feel limited so I chose the extended range.  42 degrees below specs is pretty impressive. I was more worried about the -4 F storage limit.

At the price of the mount with encoders I didn't want to take the risk that some future location would have too low of temperatures to use the mount with encoders. The price difference isn't that great so I don't mind paying the extra.