From: Micheal Fields Jr via groups.io <mpfjr@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Feb 12, 2021 1:09 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2 Guide rate and question about gear meshing.

What is the recommended guide rate setting?  My experience with premium mounts is that you reduce the guide rate.  The other mount I am using recommends .20 or .25 and I've been pretty happy with that.

I think I saw somewhere the recommended with the Mach2 is 1.0x?

But maybe your experience is different and you have a different value. I am using the latest nightly PHD2 with multi star guiding.

Next question is about gear meshing.  Specifically the RA.   I had rain predicted for today so I brought my gear inside and set it up in my kitchen so I could work on my camera spacing with a new precise parts adapter that came in the mail yesterday.  While I was carrying the mount into the house the saddle plate was up against my tummy and I could feel something that felt loose.  When I set it back on the tripod and bolted everything down tight, I  could wiggle the saddle and feel something click/clack .  I then followed the movement by eye and could see the entire RA had some movement.  The alignment marks for RA showed a bit of movement.   I didn't notice this before.  Now if I hold on to the OTA and wiggle it, I can hear it click/clack as it moves.  The weight is far under capacity with a C11 and a one shot color camera.  No filter wheels or rotators etc.    Here is a short video showing what I am experiencing.   What is interesting is that when making a model I was noticing some results that I thought were very strange depending on what side of the meridian it was  on but I assumed it was the fact I focus with my primary mirror so it moves.  However guiding was less than amazing too but again I had an excuse which was clouds moving in and that messes with the  guide stars.   So please take a look and tell me if this is normal.  Thanks!   Note: if you turn your volume up or use headphones you can hear it too.  https://youtu.be/JnhhFXc-uFw