Re: Dec limit in Mach2

Christopher Erickson

I assume there is nothing plugged into the ST-4 port on your CP5.

I can't think of any APCC configuration or misbehavior that could cause your symptoms. I wouldn't bother with uninstalling and reinstalling APCC.

Make sure there isn't any stray fleck of metal or something floating around in your CP5 ST-4 socket.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 11:02 AM Luca Marinelli <photo@...> wrote:
Thanks Roland. I’ll wait for Howard’s phone call.

Luca

On Feb 5, 2021, at 3:59 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I think Howard can help you if he can patch into your computer. He is 1000 times more knowledgeable than I am about APCC and the best way to set everything up.

I work with the Mach2 and our other mounts extensively, so I know what they will do, but for the life of me I have never seen any of them misbehave in all the 20 years I have operated them. So I'm always surprised when someone comes up with a problem that we cannot replicate, but in the end I would definitely want to know what caused this erroneous behavior.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Feb 5, 2021 2:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Dec limit in Mach2

Roland,

I don’t have anything else running. The mount starts moving the moment I click connect in APCC. As you can see from the screen shot, I had not initialized the mount yet and I had not started the AP ASCOM driver. 

How do I completely uninstall APCC so no config or other files are left over? I want to make sure that the problem is not coming from some old file from when I was using APCC with the Mach 1. 

Luca

On Feb 5, 2021, at 3:10 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

You may have another application that is sending a slew command at that point. When APCC connects the ASCOM driver will come up, but it takes a small bit of time for it to initialize the mount. Your other application may be sending a move command before the ASCOM driver has finished initializing the mount, and therefore all bets are off where the mount will slew to during that un-initialized time period. It could very well be sending the mount in a 360 degree wild goose chase so that the axis eventually runs into the limit.

The mount MUST be fully initialized before any move command can be sent. All external applications must wait until the driver has done its job.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Feb 5, 2021 2:00 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Dec limit in Mach2

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 02:11 PM, Howard Hedlund wrote:
Hi Luca,

I'm sorry that I missed this thread.  Give me a call at AP.  I can remote into your system with Teamviewer and have a look.

HKH
Hi Howard,

Thank you. I called AP and left my phone number.

I just went to the observatory to power things up. I started with the mount at Park 3 (where I had parked it last night). Powered on the mount and then started APCC, while standing right in front of the mount. Unfortunately, as soon as I pressed Connect to the mount, the Dec axis started rotating and went all the way around to the hard stop (see picture). So again, everything appears to work if I connect to the mount via ASCOM AP driver and TSX but when I connect via APCC Pro, this intermittent problem persists.

APCC Logs here (error should be upon connection, 2/5/2021, 2:38pm): https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uglaeb406n2vjv/ApccZip-Luca_Marinelli-2021-02-05-145128.zip?dl=0

Best,

Luca

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.