Re: Mount Maintenance

Don Anderson

If someone is worried about parts seizing together due to corrosion, you can use anti seize compound. It is used extensively in the marine industry to prevent threaded parts (SS steel aluminum etc) from seizing in marine environments. It can be obtained from marine supply stores such as West Marine. you can sometimes get it or similar products at automotive supply stores since it is put on spark plugs on engines that have aluminum heads.

Don Anderson

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:25:51 a.m. MST, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:

You should buy the AP grease kit for lubing the drive worm and gears but those are very specialized greases, and very expensive, and not necessary to keep the two stages from corroding together.  For that, anything (almost) will do, and cost far less.  I use a waterproof automotive grease that is also for bicycle hub bearings and scuba regulators.  More expensive that ordinary grease but way cheaper than the greases for the drive gears!  BTW those gears should be greased every year or so - don't waste the grease!

Steve

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 8:35 AM Bruce Bartle <brucebartle6@...> wrote:
Thank you Steve &I Capt Max.  I am having trouble locating the grease on the AP website - I'll just contact Daleen - she knows everything  :-)

--
Bruce
Meadowlark Ridge Observatory