Re: Flexure or tracking? (Another "cold night" from northern Indiana)

Joel Short

An update to this...last night I had about 4hrs of clear sky and in order to test the theory about the fans causing the elongated stars I unplugged the fan from the camera.  It was still plenty cold enough to reach my -10C set point without issue.  Long story short, every single sub that came in had perfectly round stars.  The difference seems obvious to me.  With the fan operating as normal about 3/5 subs came in with elongated stars.  With the fan disconnected every sub was perfect.

The problem is that I'm not exactly sure what to do about it.  Noctua is generally regarded as the best brand for silent and vibration free fans, but they do not make the size I need (50mm).  I did buy some fans that look better than the stock ones I have, and I'm going to try some Noctua silicone rubber mounting things that are supposed to help isolate the fan from the case (if they fit on the camera). We'll see how that goes.

In any event, this is no longer an Astro-Physics related discussion so I'll look elsewhere.
joel