Re: Ap1200 / TheSkyX jog runaway

Mike Dodd

On 1/26/2021 6:24 PM, Allen Gilchrist via groups.io wrote:
...perhaps try the ASCOM driver. I don't know much about
ASCOM except that I've not had good luck with it in the past. Does
AstroPhysics provide an ASCOM driver for the AP 1200 GTO?
I use the A-P ASCOM driver <https://www.astro-physics.com/ascom> on my 1200, and it works fine. Ray Gralak, the developer, is a regular on this list.

The driver GUI has NSEW buttons, and you can set the slew rate right there on the same screen. I use the buttons often to center a planet or the Moon when I want to make a "movie" for later processing. Normally I use ACP automation software, which connects to the mount via ASCOM.

I can connect SkyX to the mount via ASCOM even if ACP is already connected. This means I can monitor in SkyX where ACP is pointing the mount, or I can slew the mount in SkyX if ACP is not actively imaging.

In my experience, ASCOM is a wonderful interface, and the A-P driver is great.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA