Re: Through the mount USB3.0 on Mach2 trouble unrelated to temp

Roland Christen

Regarding cable wrapped around the shaft, what can I as an end user do about that?
Nothing whatsoever. The cable is wrapped 1/2 way around in either direction internally as the mount rotates from one side to the other. It's not what you think, it's routed that way inside the mount.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Through the mount USB3.0 on Mach2 trouble unrelated to temp

I just ordered a Pegasus Astro USB hub thingy that you recommended.  I like it anyways so it was a good buy.

I also ordered two short 1 foot USB 3.0 A to B cables and will be able to go from the output on the mount to that hub by a 1 foot cable.  And my little computer will go from itself to the bottom of the mount by the shortest cable I can find.  I have a 2 foot USB Type C to USB 3.0 Type A cable and my PC has a USB Type C output. I have noticed things actually work much better if I use that output instead.  unfortunately other than charging cables for phones I can't find a short one. 

Regarding cable wrapped around the shaft, what can I as an end user do about that?  

But lets wait then and see if going with super short cables and putting the Pegasus hub under the saddle plate(or on top if there is room) will fix this. 

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 01:11 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
One thing that may be happening with the internal cable is that it is inside the metal shafts and wraps partially around the Dec shaft before exiting out the back. That may distort the waveform enough if the signal is marginal.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jan 13, 2021 2:13 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Through the mount USB3.0 on Mach2 trouble unrelated to temp

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:51 PM, Liam Plybon wrote:
o make your setup work, you need to either:
  1. Get shorter cables between the camera, mount and computer
  2. Use an active cable between the computer and mount
  3. Use a powered, USB hub at the base or top of the mount along with shorter cables. 
Otherwise, your setup will keep giving you these errors. I promise that this error is not caused by a mechanical issue in the cable, because if there was any kind of problem you wouldn't have been able to recognize the device in the first place. USB 3.0 is too finicky to work on damaged cables. 
Thanks Liam,
This explains why it works rather for me.
the Pegasus V2 powerbox at the top of mount and a powered USB3 Hub at the base connected to an active extension cable.
Dominique

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.