Re: [ap-ug] Mach2 shipments with low temp encoders

Seb@stro

Hello Karen,

Thanks for the status update. I didn’t get the email you refer to. I check my spam folder daily so it’s unlikely (but possible) that I have deleted it by mistake.

I don’t own another AP mount to play with at the moment (as other people, lucky folks) so I can’t say I’m not a bit disappointed but I definitely understand given the actual situation. Waiting is hard but it doesn't harm... :)

Stay safe and I wish you all the best at AP.

Sébastien Doré

Le 12 janv. 2021 à 11:19, Karen Christen <karen@astro-physics.com> a écrit :

Hello Astro-Nuts,

We were trying not to throw Renishaw under the bus, but since Roland spilled the beans... Our Mach2 encoder shipment (both types) was delayed by Renishaw. They were forced to make operational changes due to the pandemic that set them behind. We can relate - we were unable to manufacture anything for 10 weeks in 2020 and we're still feeling those affects. Additionally, many more people ordered low-temp encoders for their Mach2s than we were anticipating, and some changed their order to low-temp after the fact. So our initial encoder order was not of the optimal mix to meet demand, and some low-temp encoder mounts have been delayed longer than standard-temp. Our subsequent encoder order, of course, would have corrected for this but as Roland mentioned, delivery has been delayed. Hence, we will have a stall in Mach2 shipments. With that said, we are still making Mach2s and not all orders will be delayed.

On a separate but related note, Renishaw is not our only supplier to experience delays. Over the holidays our anodizing subcontractor experienced a large Covid outbreak and was shut down for multiple weeks, which affects virtually every product we make. Frankly, we feel fortunate we've not had more issues such as these amongst our vendors, and have not had an outbreak ourselves.

We did send an update email to everyone whose Mach2 order will be delayed. If we missed you, please let me know so I can ensure our records are accurate. Thanks for your patience. These are certainly challenging times.
Karen
AP