Re: USB and cold weather

Joe Zeglinski

A bonus for using USB-2, besides 3x the distance,  is that those cables are “thinner”, by two extra wires in the sheath, than USB-3. So, the cable bundle  inside the mount is just a bit looser, especially twisting when its cold.

Joe

From: Micheal Fields Jr via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 6:09 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] USB and cold weather

I do not use video for sure.  Not with this camera.  3 seconds on USB2?

Interestingly I have an Icron Ranger 2304 which is a USB 2.0 over Cat5e which was allowing me to run long ethernet cable out to my mount in the back yard but use my in home computer to control everything.

I would take about 30 seconds per download.    You are right, I don't love your solution but it is either that or not use the through the mount cabling.  Such a shame.

I just did some experiments.  Bottom line is if I bypass the mounts internal cable, I have zero issues at USB 3 speeds.    You are right though.  USB 2 port doing the same cables resulted in perfect no error images.

Damnit.