Re: Process for updating to ASCOM 6.5 SP1 with APCC Pro

Dale Ghent

On Jan 5, 2021, at 14:04, Patrick Spencer <patrick.spencer2@comcast.net> wrote:

Now that Ray has given the green light to use ASCOM 6.5 SP1 with APCC, I figured I would take the plunge and update. I am currently running ASCOM 6.4.

What is the best procedure for updating ASCOM and applications such as APCC Pro, N.I.N.A., ZWO drivers, etc? Should I just install the ASCOM package on top of my existing setup (I hope)? Or should I uninstall everything and do a "clean install" from scratch (I hope not)? Something in the middle?
Just install the ASCOM 6.5sp1 package directly. The ASCOM updates are designed to be applied over any existing one and there's no need for superstitious maneuvers such as uninstalling the world in order to appease it.

The only special consideration is if you are a user of POTH. POTH was deprecated with ASCOM 6.5 in favor of its new functional replacement, Device Hub. POTH is still available in the ASCOM 6.5 installers as an optional component, however. So if you're a POTH user and not quite ready to immediately convert to Device Hub, be sure to designate POTH for installation in the installer's options so that you still have it after the upgrade. You can then convert over to Device Hub at your leisure.

/dale