Re: safe way to load the OTA on the MACH2

Christopher Erickson

That is one thing I neglected to mention. A safety stop on the upper-end of the dovetail bar. Thanks for the reminder Joe.

I like to use the Losmandy DVA D-style ring bases (or an ADM DPA-D + "Rosette Knob Hand Tool") as a quick-on and quick-off safety stop. You can even put it at the right spot that gets the OTA balancing right the first time without further adjustment. They also provide a big edge to rest the OTA weight on while you take one hand to crank the bracket knobs. Make sure to crank them down securely so a sliding scope won't knock it right off the end of a dovetail bar.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:55 PM Joe Zeglinski <J.Zeglinski@...> wrote:
    On the subject of OTA safety ... I would strongly suggest you be certain to have a wide head bolt, wider than the D-plate center groove – such as a 1/4-20 camera equipment lock nut – screwed UNDER the D-Plate.

    It would be personally embarrassing,  or even dangerous for the OTA,  if it weren’t secured tightly enough in the saddle, and it suddenly slid down, right off the saddle to the ground as the mount slewed to an upward position. At least that “safety-stop bolt” would have the D-Plate slam a short distance into the end of the saddle, rather than completely off to the ground.

    I wonder how many of us don’t have that safety-stop, or know that there should be one there.

Joe Z.