Re: safe way to load the OTA on the MACH2

Xentex

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:17 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
I would NEVER load any refractor with the dovetail and rings attached to the scope. It's asking for disaster.
I'm curious what kind of disaster you have in mind.

I haven't tried it the way you suggest, but it seems to me that it's much more unwieldy trying to manipulate my TOA-130 without the rings and plates attached.  That rig is about 36 lbs all in, with the rings and plate only about 5 of it.  Given the front heaviness of the TOA and lack of places to grip a long smooth cylinder I think I'd be much more likely to have an accident with the rings, plate, and handle removed.

At 155 or 160 it's a different story.