Re: Lost communications with mount

Roland Christen

However, every minute or two, Mach2 makes a small click sound. It makes the sound even after I completely unplug the USB.  Should I worry about it?  Is it normal?
The motors will make a click sound when they are energized from a de-energized condition and vice versa. There are several possibilities here.

1) Parking the mount will de-energize the motors. Unparking the mount will re-energize them and they will "click" each time. These are software commands sent to the mount, the mount will not park or unpark itself without an outside command.

2) Loss of voltage, below 11.5 volts or bad connection to the DC power supply can also cause the motors to make a clicking noise.

3) loss of connection of either the RA or Dec connectors between the CP5 and the mount will cause a click but only once and the CP5 LED will turn yellow indicating a Motor Stall. It will not re-energize the motors until an external program re-initializes the mount.

If you have a meter installed between your power supply and the CP5, you can monitor the current draw. At 24 volts the current will be about 0.7 amps. When the mount is parked or there is a motor stall condition (yellow LED) the current will drop to about 0.15 amps.

I keep a meter such as this in-line device on my power cords: https://www.astro-physics.com/cabppwm

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Dec 30, 2020 9:50 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Lost communications with mount

[Edited Message Follows]
Hi Roland, it is indeed very simple.  My current workflow in TheSky6 is almost as simple as what you said, except that I have to click "establish" to link to the mount.  Otherwise it's the same.  So I am not complaining about the simplicity (or lack of).  It's the lost communication problem that keeps bothering me.  I just tried it without going through APCC (and that's also what I did last week as well, before I got the APCC license).  The issue remains.  Next I will try to change the timeout setting and let you know if it works.

deonb, I will switch to Win10 eventually, probably sooner.  Previously I was told that not every telescope-related program runs on Win10 (like PHD2 perhaps), so I did not try to update.  (Also the notorious Win10 auto update issue.)  Now I think everything should run on Win10.  So perhaps it's time for an upgrade.

When I am typing this, Mach2 is connected to the computer via USB.  But TheSky6 is not connected to it.  ASCOM is not launched.  However, every minute or two, Mach2 makes a small click sound. It makes the sound even after I completely unplug the USB.  Should I worry about it?  Is it normal?

--
Homepage:

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.