Re: Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

ray.palmer@...

Ray Gralak says - Hey Ray - you may want to reread what I wrote. I offered to create a simple script for you for free. :-)

Ray Palmer says - Thank you for that offer, I did notice that offer and is why I said it was very kind of you. I just feel bad putting you to that trouble. Would the script work through The SkyX please?

Ray Gralak says - Or, you could upgrade to the GTOCP4.

Ray Palmer says - certainly a possibility to upgrade in the new year I guess. Would this then offer a simple pier flip feature to access via the keypad?

Ray Gralak says - Let's use your "other manufacturer" pier flip button as an example:

1. Say the mount is at (RA_1, Dec_1) - whatever coordinates those happen to be.
2. You click the "Pier Flip" and the mount goes to (RA_1, Dec_1) on the other pier side.
3. Later, you want to slew to (RA_2, Dec_2), but on the other side of the pier.
4. You first click the "pier flip" button, and the mount slews to (RA_1, Dec_1) on the opposite side of the pier, but you are not done.
5. Now you still have to issue the slew to (RA_2, Dec_2).

Is that how the other manufacturer's pier flip works? Is that how you would like it to work?

Ray Palmer says -

1. Say the mount is at (RA_1, Dec_1) - whatever coordinates those happen to be.
2. You click the "Pier Flip" and the mount goes to (RA_1, Dec_1) on the other pier side.

Perfect, those two steps is all that is required regardless of what side you are on or what objects you want to view after, the pier flip feature simply changes the side of the mount and retains the target. Of course there are preprogrammed mount slew limits which may prevent some pier flipping, but with AP's tracking past the meridian, this would rarely be an issue. My only observation is the mount should slew through the counter weight down position during its travel, which prevents any equipment danger.

Thanks again for the feedback gentlemen.

--
Raymond D Palmer
Astronomer