Re: Mach2GTO Anderson Powerpole passthrough current rating #Mach2GTO

Christopher Erickson

It is a straight-through run that is fully isolated from the mount frame, as it should be. It has no internal fusing. That wouldn't be a bad thing to add. My memory is a bit faded but IIRC, it is 14 ga wire and can handle up to 15 amps, although 10 amps is a more reasonable limit. Roland or George will correct me if I am wrong.

IMHO, putting anything besides 12-14 VDC on it is inviting problems. Too easy to mix up power supplies and devices and burn stuff up. I think it is better to just run the 12-14 VDC and then use regulators to step the voltage down (or up) from there after it has emerged out of the top of the mount.

Of course YMMV.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 5:02 PM deonb <deonb@...> wrote:
How much current can I draw through the Anderson Powerpole passthrough on the Mach2GTO?

Or alternatively, what is the AWG & length of the internal wiring, and are the Powerpole connectors 15, 30 or 45 amp rated?

Second, are those wires pure passthrough without any connection (even just ground) to the mount's internal wiring? For example, is there a technical reason that it can't be used for 5V? Or 24V? Or 12V A/C ?