Re: Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

Don Anderson

I would like that!Emoji

Don Anderson

On Monday, December 28, 2020, 09:43:36 a.m. MST, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Hi Ray,

> that's great news then. I'm using a 1600GTO with a GTOCP3 using the latest software 4.19.3.
> How do I do a simple pier flip please? What is the keypad path? I tried using +- and pressing 9, as per
> Rolando's instructions, but it doesn't do anything.

I don't know, as I hardly use the keypad.

> Hard pier stops and tracking past the meridian or 360 degrees past the meridian are
> very different features than what is being requested here Ray.

It's relevant because if a telescope mount has a physical stop, the telescope may never physically get into a position where a pier collision can easily happen.

It is because A-P mounts don't have such a stop that pier collisions have more potential to happen. However, the lack of a physical stop offers the potential for a telescope to never need to be flipped throughout the night.

BTW, APCC has a meridian limits explorer tool to map out the slew limits at every declination and pier side. Once mapped out, APCC automatically allows pier flips within the meridian limits. Note that the concept of "meridian limits" is not the same as the mount's "meridian delay".

> The idea that pier flipping is meridian based is strongly misguided.

A pier flip in any mount results in multiple operations. In the case of an AP mount, the meridian delay is just one of the two commands needed to do a pier flip:

1. Set meridian delay.
2. Slew to current RA/Dec.

Setting the meridian delay sets the destination pier side.

Can the keypad be programmed to do that: yes. Can software be programmed to do that: yes.

APCC has a button to do a pier flip, but a simple script can be made to perform the pier flip without APCC. The script could be placed on the desktop and double-clicked when needed. I can't help you with the AP keypad operations, but I can create a (free) script for you that will flip the mount if you are interested?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro