Re: leveling the RAPAS on Mach2

Christopher Erickson

I would worry more about load instability on an unlevel tripod than polar alignment accuracy. Having the RAPAS rotated ever-so-slightly will still give you a rather precise polar alignment. And if you are imaging, you probably want to follow up with drift alignment anyway.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020, 8:01 AM Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...> wrote:

Wei Hao,
I don't believe you need to have a leveled tripod to use RAPAS.  It's only aligning the RA axis to the pole.    So as long as you have the adjustability to do this, with your altitude and azimuth adjusters...      I hope I'm not misunderstanding your question.

I have a RAPAS and polemaster.   I used my polemaster alignment (which is very good) to adjust my rapas.  I purchased the rapas to use in the field when I may not have a computer.

best,

Terri