Can smog effect autoguiding?

Tom Blahovici

After two perfect nights automating imaging into the wee hours of the morning, tonight it has been a disaster. I get swings of 4" whereas I was getting .6" the last two evenings for 10 hours each night.
At first I had not idea what was going on. I checked the scope, there were no wire hang ups, everything looks perfect.  Outside, the night appears nice and clear.
It now all of a sudden seems to be performing ok, not as good as usual, but I just heard on the radio that there is a smog warning in my area.
Is this a possibility? Or am I destined to always have problems, just when all have been sorted out.  You goot love this hobby.
Tom