Re: Balance helper by amp draw? #Mach2GTO

Woody Schlom

Ah, thanks Roland.  I didn’t realize that the “old” amp draw method only works with the original Mach1 – which I have.  Interesting.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roland Christen via groups.io
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2020 3:28 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Balance helper by amp draw? #Mach2GTO

As to Balancing, I am surprised that I don't find some sort of balancing tool in APCC.  Seems simple enough to sample the amp draw in both axis to see which side is heavier and then instruct the user with "scope is camera heavy" or "Scope is counterweight heavy" with some sort of % measurement.

The Mach2 uses micro-stepper servo motors which do not change current with load. Therefore it is not possible to measure any difference between balanced and unbalanced. Just loosen the clutches and do your balance that way. With clutches loose you can attain very accurate balance manually.

In general, you cannot extrapolate from one manufacturer all functions to another manufacturer.