Re: Refractor on top of OTA ok? AP 1100 GTO Mount

Christopher Erickson

Yea, I opted for a C14 over an M14 because it is so much lighter, thermally stabilizes faster, and I have a Hyperstar for it.

I have a Meade 16 as well and I have been considering taking it out of the Meade forks and putting it on a 1200 or 1600.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020, 3:17 PM David Enck <davidenck@...> wrote:
Thanks for the advice, you temp me for a larger refractor :-). Although the C14 is a good bit lighter than my lx850 Meade 14..

On Dec 2, 2020, at 1:29 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

I would put a tandem bar on top of the mount and the two scopes side by side. I have done that with a C14 and a 130EDF-GT with good results.

ADM has tandem bars.

Don't be tempted to put a guider on the refractor. Way too much flexure in the reflector for that to ever work. Use an off-axis or on-axis guider on the reflector instead.

There will be some inevitable pointing error between the scopes. You can either:

1. Don't worry about it. There will be inevitable differential flexure as you move around the sky.

2. Use adjustable rings on the refractor.

3. Use an ADM X-Y adjustable platform under the refractor.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020, 10:52 AM George <george@...> wrote:

David,

I do not recommend it due to the enormous moment arm.   Sticking the 20 lb. refractor on top, way out from the center of gravity is like adding 40-50 lb.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.