Re: Storage box for the Mach2 mount

David Albers

One type of foam I like to use is Kaizen foam.  It cuts easily and is layered so you can cut to a certain depth and then peel back just that layer.  It's available from multiple places, even Home Depot sells it I think...and yes it's expensive as well.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 1:43 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Storage box for the Mach2 mount

Hi Jim

I found my foam on eBay. There are quite a few sellers that offer the Density 1.7 Polyethylene Foam Sheets in different colors and densities (higher density = "harder"). I bought my foam from Hexapackaging. They offer 2 ft X 2 ft and 2 ft X 4 ft sheets in a variety of thicknesses ranging from 1/2" to 2".

This foam is not cheap ! A couple years ago I had to send my 180 EDT back to Astro-Physics for some upgrades. Since I did not have the original shipping carton, I had to make one using these 2-inch thick foam sheets. At the same time, I also had to replace the foam in the wood storage case that came with the scope. This project cost several hundred dollars. The moral of this story is to save those shipping cartons with all of that high density foam.