Re: AP1100 GTO with AE installed today - but newbie question #Absolute_Encoders

Roland Christen

Is there a utility or something in PEMPRO  or APCCPRO? KInd of like PHD2 that shows a RA/DEC tracking graph?
All three of them can show periodic error, or as you say a "tracking graph". While encoders will eliminate the main problem of periodic error, they cannot eliminate the slow drift in both RA and Dec caused by polar misalignment, atmospheric refraction and other secondary effects.

You need to be aware that perfect sidereal tracking does not compensate for the above items, and that the stars do not move at a simple tracking rate across the sky. If you want to track precisely down to the sub-arc sec level, you need to either guide or build a model that can compensate for the above items.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Dec 1, 2020 11:21 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1100 GTO with AE installed today - but newbie question #Absolute_Encoders #Absolute_Encoders

Thank you, Rolando. Greatly look forward to some unguided imaging with my AP Stowaway, 130GTX and FSQ106.

BTW how do I ascertain tracking is cleaner compared to say my Paramount MX without encoders. Is there a utility or something in PEMPRO  or APCCPRO? KInd of like PHD2 that shows a RA/DEC tracking graph?

Shailesh

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.