Re: 900 mount spurious RA motor slewing and stall

Roland Christen

trying the Dec cable on the RA motor, it popped back up again.  S
Trying the Dec cable on the RA motor will cause a motor stall because the RA cable is trying to run the motor at sidereal, but cannot because it is not plugged in.

If you want to try the Dec on RA, first you have to turn the RA tracking rate to STOP. Then you can plug the Dec cable into the RA motor and move it with the buttons at some slew speed. If this works, then  your RA motor is fine. Next plug the Dec cable into the Dec motor and move it with the buttons. If it works, then your Dec motor is fine. If both motors work with the Dec cable but not with the RA cable, then your Y cable has a defect in the RA portion.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Nov 27, 2020 8:07 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 900 mount spurious RA motor slewing and stall

Thanks Jeff and Roland for the info. 

Roland, looks like I'll have to call George on Monday.  I performed your test of placing the RA cable to the Dec motor - at first it looked like it was the cable, but later trying the Dec cable on the RA motor, it popped back up again.  So I thought perhaps it was the bottom part of the Y-cable at fault, so I pulled out my old shorter Y-cable from my original CP2 box, and the same runaway RA movement occurs.  So either I've got two bad Y cables, or it's something more going on.

Thanks for your help in troubleshooting this for me.

-Ken 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.