Re: How to keep APCC Tracking OFF ?

Roland Christen

Timed moves (such as pushing the E-W buttons on the keypad or on the ASCOM driver) do not change the tracking rate. If you have rate set to zero the mount will remain at zero.

Co-ordinate moves will toggle the rate to sidereal at the end of the move.

From: Joe Zeglinski <J.Zeglinski@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Nov 22, 2020 11:54 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] How to keep APCC Tracking OFF ?

Ray, sorry about my not being clear.

    What I meant to say is that after I managed to kill the tracking by rapidly going to the “Toggle Tracking” button,  it would eventually toggle itself back on, for some reason,   EVERY time I clicked the GOTO button, beside my saved AZ/ALT coordinates,  in the GoTo/ReCal  tab. That happened,  even while the mount was NOT tracking at the time.  I wasn’t aware that all  GOTO’s automatically re-activate tracking.

    That is not to say that I don’t appreciate such a shortcut. I almost never operate the mount in “non-astronomical mode”, so triggering tracking lest I should forget to activate it myself, is a nice thing. I will just have to remember your earlier posted instructions on disabling this feature, on those rare circumstances when I need the mount to act like a theodolite.

    In between my turning off the tracking,   I was using the MOVE SCOPE section’s direction keys  - rather than attaching my Hand Pad - to adjust my camera  pointing at my chosen “land target”. Then, when I wanted to move it back to its original target starting point AZ/ALT coordinates, the GOTO beside the AZ/ALT box, made the CP4 jump back into Sidereal tracking mode.
Trying to get the mount to stand still for that session, became a cat & mouse game between that GOTO and the TOGGLE TRACKING button.

Meanwhile ....
    Yes, I do need to update my APCC PRO software,  as well as the CP4 on my AP-1200.
I noticed  an APCC  box saying I needed to Update my “Firmware”. Thinking it wasn’t urgent,  I was putting that off a bit, until the new firmware and manual, which everybody had been talking about, had finally been officially released.
I wasn’t certain whether that major Firmware update was for everybody’s CP4 & CP5,  or was just meant for the CP5 and the Mach-2 mount.
I’ll get on that task this week.

Joe Z.