Re: consistent goto error on meridian flip w/1200

Christopher Erickson

Congratulations!

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 4:51 AM Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
Last night I used the ConeSharp program with spectacular results.  This is a free product from the SharpCap team (Robin Glover et. al.).  It uses a semi automated procedure to put a target star offset from center and you then adjust the source of the orthogonality error (the dovetail rail on the C9.25 in my case) to recenter the image.  Shimming is kind of miserable and crude.  At some point when/if the scope is off the mount I'll put adjustment screws on the rail.  Even so, the results are impressive.  The program reported my initial error as 14+ minutes.  I'm not sure how that relates to the error that was on the sensor, which was much larger.  After a lot of careful shimming and 3 iterations of the procedure, reported error was 37 seconds.  A goto halfway across the sky including a meridian flip had the target on the sensor and off-center by about 8 minutes (guestimate).

My thanks for the advice.

Steve