Re: Congratulations to NASA and SpaceX!

Don Anderson

Doesn't look like the international astronomical community had much if any influence on the decisions. When the concerns were first raised, Elon's answer was "they can image from space" it was only later that any effort was made to darken the satellites. The other worry is the elevated risk of collisions and cascading proliferation of space debris (aka movie Gravity). This could deny humanity access to space for generations to come.

Don Anderson

On Saturday, November 21, 2020, 09:55:38 p.m. MST, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

IIRC, there IS a UN committee that works on international treaties about space activities. Before that there were space treaties between the USA and USSR. Then the EU got in the game. Then India, China, etc.

Just like there are international treaties and international entities that manage radio frequencies and also international waters and maritime laws.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 6:45 PM Don Anderson via groups.io <jockey_ca=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Ya gotta wonder who gets to decide who gets to use the space around our planet. I doesn't look like there was any international consultation or approval process for this SpaceX adventure. Elon is his own authority. SpaceX isn't the only organization planning these mega constellations either.

Don Anderson

On Saturday, November 21, 2020, 09:18:53 p.m. MST, Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:

Hi Karen, hi all,

As impressive and full of proudness to U.S. people this technical accomplishment might be, let’s not forget that this very same company (SpaceX) is on the verge of “obscuring” the stars for centuries to come with its 42 000 very bright satellites megaconstellation being launched every two weeks now and ongoing in the months / years to come.

This may not seem that big of a number to most us who are used to astronomical scales but as a comparison point, there are about 3000 active satellites in the sky right now. As another point of reference, the human unaided eye can see about 4500 star in a dark sky. Just imagine the effect on our long exposures of increasing tenfold that number but of bright and moving objects in between the stars...

Many predict it’ll be devastating to any radio and visual astrophotography, be it amateur or professional... If that proves to be the case, it might sadly be one of those “hope for the best” moment in regards to the hobby we all cherish.

Very “dark” ages to come in astronomy indeed. Better capture what you can, while you can... 🙁

Sébastien

Le 16 nov. 2020 à 12:13, Karen Christen <karen@...> a écrit :

Congratulations (once again!) to the NASA and SpaceX team on the successful launch of the Resilience Crew Dragon from Kennedy Space Center to the International Space Station this evening!  What an incredible feat!

From all of us at AP, our very best wishes for a safe journey and arrival at the ISS.

Karen

AP

--