Re: Dim hand controller keys #Keypad

Don Anderson

Hi Chris
Good to know about being able to remove the red lens from the display. When we can get back to solar (hopefully sooner rather than later) imaging, I will definite try that.

Don Anderson

On Friday, November 20, 2020, 04:59:38 p.m. MST, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

The AP hand controllers are a standard, custom programmable, industrial grade, tough, hand controller designed for controlling big industeial machinery. They have a special display that is good to -40F/C. Very nice! AP loads the controllers with their own custom keyboard membrane, firmware, red display lens and coiled cable and connector. I don't think AP has any control over the keypad back lighting intensity. I could be wrong. I use a HotechUSA astro-Aimer flashlight with UV LED's for recharging the glow of the keypad. Or I might use a Nebo Mycro HL20H red LED headlamp to help with seeing the buttons. If you end up using the keypad a lot, you will get used to the button locations quickly and not need any additional lighting.

If I am doing a lot of solar work, I take the red lens out of the AP display so it becomes easy to read in daylight.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020, 12:59 PM Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...> wrote:
Hey Frank, I've called AP about this as I thought it was a defect as well (on a new keypad).   The response I received is that the keys are glow in the dark if they're charged a bit beforehand.    I haven't noticed this yet (glow in the dark) and am probably leaning towards having to memorize and/or just use my headlight.   It is a bit inconvenient and a bit of a design flaw.   I find that I really like to have a hand controller and not having one is really inconvenient.     Maybe a future upgradable design update will remedy this.

Terri