Re: Stainless Steel Insert for Counterweight Shaft Threads

Roland Christen

I'd assume that that a we'll need to buy a new CW shaft because if the insert is screwed into the hole of the legacy mounts then its ID would be too small for the CW shaft to be screwed in.
No, not true. The bore size did not change, and all shafts will fit the new inserts.

From: Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Nov 15, 2020 5:38 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Stainless Steel Insert for Counterweight Shaft Threads

Hi mhambrick
   I'd assume that that a we'll need to buy a new CW shaft because if the insert is screwed into the hole of the legacy mounts then its ID would be too small for the CW shaft to be screwed in.

cytan

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 02:39:29 PM CST, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Hi Tony

Marj replied to an email that I sent to her stating that this insert is now included in the counterweight shaft adapters on the 1100 and I think also the 1600 mounts. She was not sure if they had any extras from the current production runs, but I read into her comments that they will probably make some and offer them for sale at some point in the future. Whenever that happens I plan to get one.

I don't really need one of these adapters at this time, because I have always been careful not to cross-thread the CW shaft into the adapter, but since I set up and take down my mount each session, those threads get a lot of wear. Eventually they are going to wear out or get cross threaded.

One thing that concerns me is that stainless on stainless threads are notorious about galling. I would recommend using a little bit of Never-Seez to keep this from happening. I wonder if a good high-strength bronze insert wouldn't be a better choice for insert material.