Re: best power schema for nomad set up

Jeffc

I’ve been running AP mounts off 12v batteries directly since 2004.

I used optima yellow tops for quite a while - one for the mount, another for the camera , another with inverter for the computer, and another for the dew heaters if I need them.  These are heavy batteries tho.   Thinking back, they might be overkill.

I have been transitioning to a lighter weight setup and switched to a LiFePO4 with built in inverter for the computer.  I’m using a smaller sealed AGM “emergency lights” battery which I think is 18AH.

I’m also using all Anderson PowerPoles for all the battery connections.   No more 12v “cigarette lighter” plugs.

If I am doing a multi night trip away from power, I’ll bring the EU1000 Honda generator to charge during the day.   A tank of gas lasts about 2 days.

On Nov 8, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

Batteries are ALWAYS safer and cleaner than mixing in inverters and converters and power bricks along with batts.

One 12 or 24v batt setup for the mount and a separate 12 batt setup for everything else. No ground loops, no electronics failures, no efficiency reductions, no surges, no RFI issues, no excessive heat radiation...

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM Andrea Lucchetti <andlucchett@...> wrote:
Hello,
I'd be grateful if someone can show me the best way to power my nomad set up (Mach 2, Pc, CCD, FLI atlas, HUB Usb, fa, kendrick, etc)

Basically I am thinking to use the brick power unit that came with the mount, I feel it is more safe than going straight from the battery.
I have a 100A lipofe battery, and one inverter. the inverter is not earthed, as this is a portable set up and don't know how many put a rod in the ground for one night...

The 220 line from the inverter powers:
-the Mach 2 24v brick ( i don't know if it is double isolated or earthed)
-the pc brick ( it is not double isolated but use the earth of the inverter, that is floating)
-one 12v brick for the rest: given that I need 12A, it is also not double isolated ( the V- is connected to ground)

my doubt is: if one component fails and the ground get a potential this is going to hit everything?

The alternative is to power the mount and the other appliances from the battery, and leave the pc on the inverter.
this is the option I wanted to avoid at the beginning but may be it is something to reconsider?

Thanks a lot,
Andrea