From: "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: 10/18/20 1:04 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Need some assistance with an AE install on an AP1100

Use APCC to turn the encoders on. You can check if the encoders are active by removing one of the gearbox covers to expose the spur gears and servo motor shaft. Then wiggle the axis back and forth and the servo motor will respond with an opposing motion. If the motor does not respond, then the encoders are not active.

If you need further assistance, call George in the morning. He can help you navigate APCC and check your settings.

Guiding:
The encoders eliminate PE on the RA axis and eliminate backlash on the Dec axis. So, they should improve guiding by a fair amount. Best way to guide with encoders is to do as little as possible, which means take longer guide exposures to minimize seeing motions of the guide star. Don't guide at a fast cadence, rather add a few seconds between guide exposures to allow the encoder loop time to center the star. Use a bit lower aggressiveness than you are used to. I normally use 50% on normal seeing nights and rarely 70% on perfect seeing nights. My guide exposures are typically 3 to 5 seconds, and sometimes as much as 20 seconds for faint guide stars.

Be sure that you don't have differential flexure between guide and imaging cameras. This is probably the most important variable.

From: "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: 10/18/20 12:34 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

It appears they are not active because my guiding seems to be the same as before the install.
The encoders eliminate periodic error in tracking. The sidereal rate is very accurate with encoders as the axis is moving slowly from east to west. Of course polar alignment determines whether the stars stay on the crosshairs. Also, atmospheric refraction causes stars to move slower at lower altitudes than they do at the zenith.

Guiding is another whole ball of wax, which is partially defined by good tracking, but is much more defined by setting up the guide parameters. These depend on the sky conditions, primarily the seeing, but also how sturdy your setup is (mirror flop, dragging cables, differential flexure between guide scope and main scope, use of off-axis guiders and a whole host of other things).

So, is it "guiding" or is it "tracking" that is no different?