Re: Need some assistance with an AE install on an AP1100

Rick Darden

Info noted. Thank you for the prompt response and great service. Rick.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: 10/18/20 1:04 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Need some assistance with an AE install on an AP1100

Use APCC to turn the encoders on. You can check if the encoders are active by removing one of the gearbox covers to expose the spur gears and servo motor shaft. Then wiggle the axis back and forth and the servo motor will respond with an opposing motion. If the motor does not respond, then the encoders are not active.

If you need further assistance, call George in the morning. He can help you navigate APCC and check your settings.

Guiding:
The encoders eliminate PE on the RA axis and eliminate backlash on the Dec axis. So, they should improve guiding by a fair amount. Best way to guide with encoders is to do as little as possible, which means take longer guide exposures to minimize seeing motions of the guide star. Don't guide at a fast cadence, rather add a few seconds between guide exposures to allow the encoder loop time to center the star. Use a bit lower aggressiveness than you are used to. I normally use 50% on normal seeing nights and rarely 70% on perfect seeing nights. My guide exposures are typically 3 to 5 seconds, and sometimes as much as 20 seconds for faint guide stars.

Be sure that you don't have differential flexure between guide and imaging cameras. This is probably the most important variable.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 11:42 am

Hi Rolando,

Thanks for the clarification. Tonight, I'll check out the pec curve. So it could be working even if the ae tab in apcc says the encoders are disabled?

Anything else you think I should do to troubleshoot this evening?

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: 10/18/20 12:34 PM (GMT-05:00)

It appears they are not active because my guiding seems to be the same as before the install.
The encoders eliminate periodic error in tracking. The sidereal rate is very accurate with encoders as the axis is moving slowly from east to west. Of course polar alignment determines whether the stars stay on the crosshairs. Also, atmospheric refraction causes stars to move slower at lower altitudes than they do at the zenith.

Guiding is another whole ball of wax, which is partially defined by good tracking, but is much more defined by setting up the guide parameters. These depend on the sky conditions, primarily the seeing, but also how sturdy your setup is (mirror flop, dragging cables, differential flexure between guide scope and main scope, use of off-axis guiders and a whole host of other things).

So, is it "guiding" or is it "tracking" that is no different?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 11:07 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Need some assistance with an AE install on an AP1100

Hello,

The physical install went well as well as installing the CP4 patch.

But in APCC, in the AE tab, it says the encoders are disabled and in the setup tab it says the encoder current state is enabled.

It appears they are not active because my guiding seems to be the same as before the install.

One point. I use 2 separate stand alone computers on my rig. Once to control the main scope and another to control the piggyback system. I do this because I use SX cameras on both and I had driver errors trying to control both imaging cameras with one computer. I have APCC Pro set up exactly the same on both and it has worked well. When I installed the patch, I did it via the main scope computer and them went into the piggyback camera to make sure APCC and the V2 driver were connecting. Both computers show the same encoder in APCC as stated above.

I'm not sure if having APCC on 2 computers and just installing the patch through one computer is relevant here, but I want to mention it in case it is.

Thanks for any assistance.

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.