Re: Crayford style focuser for Vario-Finder 10x60 ; 61x250 f/4.1

Roland Christen

Yes, you should attach the guider to the imaging scope. I have always recommended that. A separate guide scope on top of the rings will not work because the imaging scope will be flexing inside the rings and be pointing in different directions with gravity.

From: M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Oct 16, 2020 11:40 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Crayford style focuser for Vario-Finder 10x60 ; 61x250 f/4.1

Thanks Roland

I am asking because George suggested to me that in order to avoid flexure, I should be doing my guiding with the Baader Vario-Finder attached to the imaging scope rather than to use a separate guide scope piggybacked on top. I already own the separate guide scope and dovetail plates, but I would have to purchase the Baader Vario-Finder. I don't want to buy one if if it is not accurate enough to use with the longer focal length of the 180.