Re: Mach2 Unguided imaging results from last night

Marcelo Figueroa

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 05:04 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
The target was the Bubble Nebula and M52. I took quick pointing data of 5 stars each on opposing Dec lines instead of taking data along the object's path. This way the modeling program could better calculate orthogonal errors, polar alignment error, scope flexure, as well as the drift error due to atmospheric refraction. The result was surprisingly good. I was able to take 1 hour exposures with the object 4 hours before the meridian, where the tracking rates were quite far from sidereal.

That's fantastic.

I'm still learning the best practices for an encoder mount and not using guiding. It seems like a good idea to make a model every night instead of relying on last week's model, because when I do, I get mixed results. Some nights my stars are perfectly round, others a little oval.

(5 minute exposures and I still don't have an environmental device that measures the local conditions, but I'm using openweathersmap.org to extract the data)