Re: Pier Crash - need help diagnosing #ASCOM_V2_Driver

Roland Christen

But I'm having trouble conceptualizing how the mount and telescopes got into the position they did.  My target (Sh2-132) had crossed the meridian at 10:10pm and a pier flip occurred successfully. Everything was fine until 11:10pm when the guide star was lost. So if the mount had simply kept on tracking the pier crash would have occurred on the other side of the pier. 
It looks like the pier flip did not occur and the mount continued with counterweight up position. It's possible that the program that sent the pier flip command did not actually send it to the driver, or the driver did not receive it. You should check the driver log at the time you think the flip command was sent and see if it was received.

The CP4 has the ability to have limits set without using APCC.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Oct 6, 2020 2:21 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Pier Crash - need help diagnosing #ASCOM_V2_Driver

Thanks Roland.  I have already brought the mount back with a CCW rotation, and restarted the mount just to make sure the motors and everything still worked properly (which it does).  But I'm having trouble conceptualizing how the mount and telescopes got into the position they did.  My target (Sh2-132) had crossed the meridian at 10:10pm and a pier flip occurred successfully. Everything was fine until 11:10pm when the guide star was lost. So if the mount had simply kept on tracking the pier crash would have occurred on the other side of the pier.  

I do not use APCC and it was my understanding that the ASCOM driver does not have limits available.  A year or two ago I had a pier crash and at that time I argued that limits are a basic necessity and should be included with the ASCOM driver itself.  At that time I started using Mount Watcher to prevent the mount from tracking too far past the meridian and I had tested it to make sure it worked, but for some reason it did not prevent this event.  

I don't believe that this would have happened if the guide star had not been lost, which started a cascade of events that led to this.  However I though I had protections in place to prevent it.  

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.